I don't know what distribution you're using, but I
think you might have the permissions set wrong on
the "start-ppp" script.  There may also be another
script involved.  In Slackware the two are called
/usr/sbin/ppp-on and /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer.  If
you want users to be able to start ppp, the files
have to be set -rwxr-xr-x.  That leaves a bit of
a hole in your security 'cause anyone can read
your password.  As long as you're the only user...
I fought with that for several days before I got it
figured out. :^)

Has anyone had any luck getting glib2 compiled?
I'm having trouble with ../stdio-common/vfscanf.c.
I found four references to __libc_cleanup_end that
I think should be __libc_cleanup_region_end.  I
changed those and it gets past that point now, but
it still bombs with several hundred lines of warnings
etc.

Tricia