On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Arandir wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Here's my question....I've gotten XWindows up and running
before..probably
> > pure dumb luck.  Now, I've increased my Linux Native and Linux Swap
space
> > so I could add in the 19 mb of KDE...so I reinstalled everything
again a
> > few times and for some reason or other...the mouse is dead when I try
> > get it running in the graphical installation XF86Setup.  Don't know
why.

> XF86Setup is usually pretty good about mice. You might want to try
XF86Config
> or another X setup program.

I think you mean xf86config.  XF86Config is the file. :-).

> > Maybe you do.  It also says when I abort it something about: I should
be on
> > another virtual terminal.  Where. I dunno.
>
> Type typing ctrl+alt+F1 (F1 through F6 are the default consoles).
>
> > My XF86_SVGA was installed into
> > my root directory.  Why it wants to be there, I dunno. Maybe, it's
shy and
> > doesn't want to play with all it's little friends in
> > X11R6.  Is it suppose to be there?  I'm I making sense?
>
> No, it shouldn't be there. How did you install it? Through a package
manager?
> Try uninstalling it the same way, then reinstalling.
>
> > Also
> > I'm getting a message  about a forced /dev/hda4 at startup
time...this is
> > where linux resides.
>
> Forced check? Are you getting any errors from the check? If there are
no
> errors, you're fine except for the increased boot time. Otherwise, this
could
> be indicative of a bigger problem.

If it happens once in a while, it is preventive maintenance.  If it
happens every startup, you are shutting down wrong, say with the on-off
switch.  Try (as root) shutdown -h now, and wait the ten seconds or so
until you get "system halted".  Usually, it does o great harm to power
off a system that isn't expecting it, but it makes the system nervous.
:-).  Later, we can get into letting selected non-privileged users shut
down the system.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

> --
> Arandir...

> <http://www.meer.net/~arandir/>

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]