According to Ailwyn Burgess: While burning my CPU.

> I realise that this will probably start world war 3, but here goes anyway
>
> Which version of Linux for x86 is best to start on? I have used Redhat 5
> (very) briefly but I want to start getting into Linux in a serious way.

No war, just a simple answer, "Slackware".

> Also, does anyone know of a good book for learning Linux, but also takes you
> pretty deep into the system, so by the time you've finished your more
> intermediate than beginner. Please include ISBN No if it's a non-UK book
> otherwise it'll be murder to get hold of it.

I have never read any books on linux, all the information one needs realy is
included in /usr/doc/* in one form or another.
That of course is my opinion, others will point you to books i am sure.

--
Regards Richard.