Since this is the NEWBIE list, and I am an idiot anyway, please forgive my
total lack of knowledge.

I am a former DOS person who has been working with computers before Bill
made his first million.  I am, however, so intune with DOS that I am lost
when it comes to Linux and its structure.  I have been reading man pages,
HOWTO's, FAQ's, and searching through all kinds of archived newsgroups, but
I still haven't found what I'm looking for.  Is there anywhere out there
that someone will say put the square in the square hole?  It seems that I
must take a lathe to my square so I can fit it into Linux's round hole...

I have Linux (Redhat 5.2) up and running on my old P-166.  I can't for the
life of me get the sound, the modem, or the NIC running.  I have tired to
follow the instructions for isapnp tools, I have tried to follow the
HOWTO's, all to no avail.  These tell you to edit this script (and in some
cases expect you to know WHAT script) and don't tell you where the script
resides, or worse yet, there is no script named that on my system.  Then I
ran up against the "modular or monolithic" kernel.  WHAT????  I am pretty
sure that I am running a modular, but I can't find anything in my docs to
tell me one way or another.

I have checked and all of my hardware is Linux compliant.  My Ethernet card
is a Netgear FA310TX (they have written a Linux driver that I have
downloaded from their website, but again, what do I do with it?), my modem
is a Creative Modem Blaster DI5600, and my sound card is an Ensoniq
SoundscapeVIVO Plug and Play (recognized by Redhat as a SB compatible and
supposedly recognized and installed correctly, but not).

Windows 98 reports:
Netgear FA310TX
    IRQ-11
    I/O-1000-077f
Creative Modem Blaster DI5600
    IRQ-10
    I/O-03e8-03ef
Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO Plug and Play
    IRQ-5,9
    I/O-0220-022f (SB Emulation)
    I/O-0330-033f (Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO PnP)
    I/O-0388-038b (SB Emulation)
    I/O-0530-0537 (Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO PnP)

Can someone point me to the answers?  I am at a total loss.  I really think
I could get all of these peripherals running if I just knew what script to
edit (and where it resided) or knew how to create the new script.

The ISAPNP README.modules states:
    "So my bootup scripts need to tell the kernel drivers about this, which
I do with the following commands:"

Can someone explain to me what the bootup scripts are (what their names are)
and where they are located?

If you can help me, and you need more information, I have oodles of it!  But
I am sure by now most folks are tired of seeing my rambles.

So if you can, PLEASE, help!

Thanks,
Shawn

PS - Sorry for the HTML before, I was just made aware that my Gatesware was
throwing my mail out that way...