According to Maurice Hendrix: While burning my CPU.

> > Symlinks could be one answer, ie, you could make your new kernel and its
> > modules which will be placed in /usr/lib/modules/2.0.36 after they are
> > installed do;
> > cd /lib/modules
> > mv 2.0.36 2.0.36-1
> > ln -s 2.0.36-1  2.0.36
> > You can do that time after time just delete the symlink before making any
> >
> But then I won't be able to start an older version of the kernel. I'd have
> the modules still but the kernel wouldn't be able to find them. I'd have to
> boot, change the symlink and reboot. ... :-\ Nah. I want to be able to

No, you could change the link "before" rebooting, you could even do it
automaticly from /etc/rc.d/rc.0 with a few lines at the top of the file,
something like the following "should" do, its of the top of my head and not
tested but in principle it should work.

echo "Enter kernel verson to be booted"
read x
ln -s /lib/modules/$x /lib/modules/2.0.36

Hwever thats how i would do it in Slackware, as i pointed out Redhat does
have a mechanisme for that in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

> decide which kernel to start at the LILO prompt and start it. So, in some
> way it should be (made) possible to point the kernel to a unique location
> for the modules. I've seen that the version number of the kernel also
> defines the name of the directory in /lib where the modules will be stored.
>
> > RH does some linking in the modules directory, i belive "prefered" is the
> > word used, you might want to comment out that part of the boot script
> > before
> > trying the above. I belive its /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
> >
> I think I came across something there. IIRC it *was* in rc.sysinit... I'm
> starting to see the light. I'll try somethings tonight when I get home and
> let you know later.
>
> Don't you hate it when different distributions do things differently?

Not realy, but it does make answering questions about what you want to do
very difficult at times, however there are many ways to skin a cat.

> > If you would like more information about this subject you could send me a
> > copy of your rc.sysinit, i could then chek and see just what it looks for
> > and try to see howto link different dir's at bootime, UNLESS anyone has
> > already done this before with RH-5.2 and sends you the golden tip.
> >
> Thanks. I'll try it myself first. I've found that doing things by yourself
> is still the best way to learn.

Thats a positive answer, just keep a bootdisk handy when experimenting with
things like this, you never know.

--
Regards Richard.