I'm a little vague on why you want to have LILO on a computer that's
going to only run windows, and perhaps I'm not understanding your
question.  This doesn't really sound like a Linux question, because at
the heart you're asking about what the hated, vile OS can handle. ;-)

However, my advise would be to simply partition your hard drive so that
your computer with windoze can deal with manageably-sized hard drives.
Unless I seriously misunderstand how it all works, your machine should
be able to deal with partitions of that size even if the overall size
of the hard drive is too big; at least that's the way it was explained
to me.  [y'all let me know if I'm wrong] I commiserate - I really do.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have an old 486 with a large hard disk (about 1
> GB).  As far as I
> know, the 486's BIOS cannot deal with HDs greater
> than 512 MB.  It is
> not a problem if you install Linux, because it
> doesn't use the BIOS to
> work with devices.  I had Linux in that 486 with the
> 1 GB HD.
>
> Now I have a new computer, and want to set up only
> Windoze in the 486.
> Windoze uses the BIOS, and it can't deal with such
> great HD.
>
> But I wonder, because Linux is so wonderful, perhaps
> I can fdisk the HD
> with Linux and install LILO there, with only
> Windoze.  Or, at least, I
> will be able to make a minimal Linux partition for
> setting up LILO,
> and let the rest of the HD with Windoze.
>
> Probably I will need to make two partitions of 512
> MB or less.
>
> Am I right?  How can I do that?  Particularly, how
> can I install LILO in
> that HD?

===
Yours in the Risen Lord,
Christian Moulton

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the
tombs bestowing life.
[editor's note:this changes everything!]