According to Andrew Robert Burgess II: While burning my CPU.

>  I've recently done a kernel compile with the new 2.2.7 kernel on
> Readhat 5.2 The compile went perfectly and everything was "funky" with
> one exception. When I rebooted I ran into the problem that none of my
> modules that I had made for 2.2.7 loaded and it wasn't until today that
> I discovered that the symlink in /lib/modules was being deleted every
> time I tried to use the new kernel to boot into. If I used the old
> kernel it worked well but the moment I chose to boot to the New one the
> symlink went pouf and there wasn't any link at all. I don't know what to
>
> do to make it exist after a reboot. even when I make a symlink to the
> 2.2.7 directory in /lib/modules it doesn't stay there after I reboot.
> could someone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Redhat removes the symbolic link in /boot called preferred at boottime, take
a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
As far as i can tell the next few lines looks for the kernel version number
with 'cat /proc/version' the next part is magic, i rather think it looks for
an extention like 2.2.7-1 it uses a script called "rhkmvtag"
RedHatKernelMakeVersionTag so i think maybe the thing to do is rename the
image in /boot as follows.

2.2.7 to 2.2.7-1

Edit the entry in /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the change and rerun lilo.
Reboot and see what happens.
It could also be that you need to use a special "extention" made from some
or other redhat spesifc script, unfortunaly i dont have redhat 5.2 or higher
here to look, so someone else will have to explain how they do it with
redhat.

dmesg might even reveal some more details as to why its failing at bootime,
and of course check out the log in /var/log/messages or syslog or even
kernel.

There was a small discussion here on this list a while ago over this
problem, possably those concerned could let you know.

--
Regards Richard.