Since you are wanting to run apache I you  can get a few free databases:
mySQL and Sybase.  I am not familiar with mySQL, but sybase is pretty
good!  With apache there are several modules writen to interface these
databases.  With apache you can also put in mod_perl which will allow you
to get at the apache api with perl modules and cache regular perl scripts
for streamlined performance (perl rocks for this stuff).

mod_perl  http://perl.apache.org
apache    http://www.apache.org
sybperl(sybase drivers, and links to sybase):
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler/
i am not sure where to get mysql.  And, somewhere out there (CPAN) are all
of the DBI,DBD drivers for all databases.