Not quite. There are the gcc and egcs compilers. egcs is the compiler of
choice for C++ and increasingly for C as well, but there were some
compatibility problems (with kernel 2.0.x, at least) that necessitated
keeping gcc around on Linux systems.

Your problem is probably not with the PATH but with the compiler name. You
don't say what program you're trying to compile, but it sounds like it uses
a makefile, and you should look in it to see that it thinks the name of the
C++ compiler is. egcs executes for C++ compiling when called as g++ (I think
it's supposed to work when called as gcc too, figuring out from the .cc
extension that the source is C++, not C, but I've had no luck making that
work myself.)

glibc is a shared library, the replacement for libc5 .

At 09:10 AM 5/11/99 -0700, David Erdman wrote:
>when i try to compile a program with suse 6.1, i get the error: no acceptable
>C++-compiler found in $PATH.  I know how to add stuff to the path, but how do i
>know what kinda compiler I have.  isnt there two different kinds...glibc and
>egcs?  thanks

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]