Quite possibly, it is not the processor that is at fault, but the memory
is being asked to run faster than it can reliabbly.  If you can run the
memory bus a bit slower by selecting a higher multiplier, the processor
might very well work fine at its rated speed.  I'll qoute a bit from an
earlier posting on one of the linux lists in case that makes it any
clearer:

([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>During the slackware installation, I tried different CPU speed.
>"Segmentation errors" appear when the CPU speed is high.  83 x 4 =
>333MHz worked.  95 x 3.5 = 333MHz and higher didn't.

If I understand this right, the first number is memory bus speed, and
the cpu speed in each example is the same.

Of course, if you can't slow the bus down any other way, reducing cpu
speed will probably work. :-)

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Jon Dowd wrote:

> Dear Chuck,
> Thanks very much for your help.  I bought this K6-266 and motherboard
at
> a very good price, but to get it to run Win95 reliably we have set the
CPU
> at 225... Do you think it would do any good to reduce it's speed any
further?
> Or perhaps I should go shopping for another chip ?
> Thanks again.  Jon
>
> > I run a k6-266 with 64 Megabytes of RAM.  When I built the system I
set
> > the CPU speed jumpers to 333 MHz and it ran DOS & Win95 fine and
would
> > boot linux.  I got a Signal 11 error while compiling a kernel.  I
asked for
> help,
> > here, and was refered to a signal-11 web page that led me back to
clocking
> > my CPU at its posted speed.  The system has been up 129 days.  The
last time
> > it was down was for a hardware upgrade.
> > :-)
> > Chuck

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]