>Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I've got ATI Rage graphics card and
>can't get X started in rh5.0 or rh5.1 for the life of me.  I've tried
>installing with the Mach64 server, the SVGA *AND* the VGA16 ones, each on
>***Numerous*** install attempts.  I've grabbed the current 3.3.3.1 rpm's for
>SVGA, VGA16, and Mach64 and tried updating "several" (cough) times - the rpm
>update works easily enough, but the X server still won't start..  Nothing -
>NADA!  Last nite, I was trying XF86Setup and it appeared to accept the VGA16
>choice with 8bpp(640x480), then while it was attempting to start the X
>server, the screen went black and locked up (this happens very often,
>primarily in rh5.1 not 5.0).  The times it doesn't lock up, it says "No
>screens found."  I've got ATI Rage 128 GL AGP graphics on a new Cyberpower
>AMD K6/2 450mhz w/16mb video ram.  My card isn't *exactly* listed at
>http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html, but it's close enough to the RAGE
>cards to make me believe that I ought to use the Mach64 server.  But WHY
>can't I even get a VGA16 server started?  NOTHING works!
>
>Thanks - Chip Rose. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>---------------

Chip - If I'm not mistaken, the card you have has a Mach128 chipset, not a
Mach64 chipset.  Even if this is incorrect, the fact that you've gotten
XF86Setup to run at all means that you've gotten the VGA16 server started.
As to why you can't get it to work at any other time...have you put in the
exact frequencies (ranges) used by your monitor?  You probably shouldn't
have to have the exact ones, but it sure wouldn't hurt.  Also, if push
comes to shove (sorry about the cliche), you might try downloading the
binaries from www.xfree86.org instead of getting them in rpm format.  I
don't know if that would make a difference, but it's something to try.
Good luck getting things set up correctly.

-William