On Fri, 21 May 1999, John Aldrich wrote:

> My cdrom was not properly detected at install. It actually maps in as hdc,
> since it's the third ide device in the system, but for some reason, by default,
> Redhat (maybe ALL versions of Linux, don't know...) assumes it's hdb, which
> will NOT work in many situations (like mine...)

RedHat does not assume hdb.  It detects the cdrom at install time and adds
a coorect entry to /etc/fstab.  I would assume that other distros do the
same.  My cdrom drive was on hdd when I did the redhat install, and it
correctly detected it.  If yours is really misdetected then tell redhat
about it so they can fix it.

--
Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,
then the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.