Since you used the actual IP address, not the hostname, in these messages,
you are not encountering a DNS problem. Two things are possible:

       1. An actual connectivity problem - host 204.143.107.46 is not
                reliably connected to the Internet, so the mail services
                cannot find it. (Jacob: is 204.143.107.46 the colo server
                or the one that dials into it? If the latter, it needs
                an MX record that points to the colo server, or some
                mail relay that's connected reliably to the Internet.)

       2. A routing problem - the route to 204.143.107.46 is not being
                disseminated properly. This is an ISP-level problem.

As to why this would make your attempts unsuccessful while I remain able to
send mail to Jacob reliably ... on that I can only make wild guesses.
Possibly my ISP uses better queueing of e-mail when a host is temporarily
unavailable? The thought that e-mail service that one pays for is more
reliable than e-mail service that is offered free doesn't exactly shock me.

In any case, this does look like a problem that Jacob will have to remedy,
perhaps by giving his ISP a hard time until they figure out what's going on
and fix it.

At 08:46 AM 5/29/99 -0700, Rasika Wijayaratne wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I sent emails to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] from Hotmail,
>Xoom mail, and Fortuncity mail, which are all free email servcices on
>the web:-
>
>hotmail.com
>www.fortunecity.com
>www.xoom.com
>
>Hotmail and Xoom both reported "Failed Delivery."  But fortuncecity has
>not yet.  Maybe this email got through to Mettavihari Hamudururwo
>(Jacob).  I have included the result below:
>
>hotmail.com_____________________________________________
>
>The original message was received at Sat, 29 May 1999 15:08:33 -0600
>from f203.hotmail.com [207.82.251.94]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>550 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Host unknown (Name server:
>204.143.107.46: host not found)

[rest deleted]

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]