I suspect your eth0 interface is present but not configured properly. From
your other recent posting, these messages give me three thoughts about what
the problem might be:

kernal: eexpress.c: Module autoprobe not recommended, give io=xx
kernal: eth0:  EtherExpress at 0x300, IRQ 9, Interbace BNC, 32k
named[270]: sysquery: sendto([198.41.0.4].53): Network is unreachable

First, might your Ethernet card have the right IRQ (9) but the wrong IObase
(0x300)? I don't know how to configure an EExpress card, so I can't tell you
how to check this.

Second, if this is a card with both 10BaseT and thinnet (BNC) connectors,
are you actually using thinnet?  eth0 thinks that's what the card is set
for. If you are, is the thinnet terminated properly (are there resistors on
both ends of the backbone)?

Third, might there be a conflict on IRQ 9? Check if /proc/interrupts shows
anything else on IRQ 9. (This is improbable but not impossible - I've seen
this on IRQ 3 before. Sometimes the system can send but not receive packets,
or sometimes the other way around. Jolly fun to diagnose!)

additional reply comments are interspersed below.

At 04:17 PM 5/31/99 -0500, Dick Kalin wrote [in part]:

>route -n yields
>
>Destination  Gateway       Genmask        Flags   Metric  Ref  Use  Ifac
>192.168.1.0  0.0.0.0       255.255.255.0  U       0       0      2  eth0
>0.0.0.0      192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0        UG      0       0     14  eth0
>
>but neither (.1.0 nor .1.254 ) exist.

1.0 exists - it's the network itself, not a host.

The 1.254 is is a problem but not the one you're worried about. Your Linux
host is set to route any packets with destinations not specifically covered
by a route instruction to that (non-existent) host, to use it as a gateway
(or a router, if that term is more familiar to you). You do need to fix
this, but not till later.

>what I'm trying to do is have Linux (192.168.1.10) be the server for
>Win98 ( 192.168.1.98) and WinNT (192.168.1.4).

The server for what services? Do you mean a samba server? If so, that's for
later ... first you need to get basic network connectivity working.

>also, the first problem I see in the LILO boot messages is
>Appletalk <...>
>ipcalc: not found.
>
>also, I think I see under
>eexpress:  module not recommended. use IO=xx.
>
>how can I create a log of these boot messages to see the problems? or
>perhaps the proper question is "is there a place where these problems are
>logged?"

try "dmesg". This displays a buffer of messages that, right after boot, is
basicallt the boot messages that weren't already logged. The one that were
logged are in your log file, usually /var/log/messages in a stock
syslog.conf setup.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]