pine is only a mail client. It expects to use an MTA (Mail Transport Agent;
e.g., sendmail) to send messages and some other client to receive them. To
get your mail running using POP3, you'll need to run the following:

        - some application to make the ppp connection to your ISP.
                The standard one is pppd, which can be run either
                manually (using a dialer like chat) or on dial-on-
                demand mode (using an app such as diald). See the
                PPP HowTo for details.

        - sendmail, to send outgoing mail to your ISP's SMTP relay.
                (POP3 is only for receiving mail; POP clients still
                use SMTP to send mail.) Or you can use a different
                MTA, such as qmail or exim.

        - some POP3 client to get the mail. fetchmail is the standard
                one, usually used together with sendmail to parcel
                out the mail to individual accounts.

Your Linux distribution includes most of this stuff, probably everything
except diald and the alternate MTAs (depends on the distribution and version).

At 06:34 PM 6/16/99 +0800, Herman Aa wrote:
>I need to get my email going asap.
>I installed PINE. But it cannot dial the ISP.
>What pgm(s) I add?
>I need to send/receive mail POP3(?) style.
>
>Herman Aa

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]