Linux itself doesn't use the BIOS, so it doesn't care if the BIOS does
"LBA" or not.  If the drive supports it (I have never seen one that
didn't), linux will use the _hardware_ LBA mode, if not, the hardware
c/h/s mode provides for 64k cylinders, 16 heads, and 255 sectors per
track, which should be enough.  Do not try to use an overlay file (you
mean
on_track or disk manager or so, right?) with linux.  I don't care how
old the machine is.  Hardware LBA is between the OS and the hd.  The IO
registers on the machine are the same as for a little hd.  They just
mean something different.

lilo does rely on the BIOS, and must be able to get at its boot and map
and kernel image files within the first 1024 cylinders.

The usual way to handle this is to make whichever partition is to be /
fit completely in the first 1024 cylinders, and use the rest of the hd
as separate partitions for /usr, perhaps /home...whatever you need space
for.

Or, make a small partition at the beginning of the hd to mount on /boot,
and be sure to install kernel images to it.  By default lilo will
install the rest of the files it needs in /boot.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.