I am almost sure you forgot to run:

        # /sbin/lilo
after kernel compilation!!!

You may solve it from a dos partition or from a dos boot diskette using
loadlin.
Or just booting from the diskette you made during installation.
If you didn't, maybe the following way:
Save under any directory two files:
        loadlin.exe
and...
        vmlinuz
You may use almost any zImage.
Then, issue the following command:
        C:\> loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
or maybe /dev/hda2, wherever you mounted your "root" (/) partition.
If you can get into linux, just do:

bash# /sbin/lilo
bash# sync
bash# reboot