According to David C. Churchill: While burning my CPU.

> >What you ask here is something like, look for a needle in a hay-stack.
>
> I realize that I just thought there may have been a few more likely causes
> that someone might recognize
>

> >1) Does the machine stop completly, can you type any commands and get a
> >responce.
>
> Stops completely, no mouse movement, no keyboard, if the screen has blanked
> it will not restore, only a hard boot will do anything.
>
> >2) Is the machine answering via eth0 to other machines, can you login via
> >telnet ??.
>
> Nope, completely dead.
>
> >3) if the answer to 1) is; i can still type commands then what is the state
> >of 'free' 'ps -aux' etc..
> >
> >Now, if i am not mistaken then you are using a ethernet driver which was
> >not considered stable when 2.0.34 was released, 2.0.34 is possably an
> answer
> >to your problem.
>

> I am using the tulip driver .89f, I know that the current driver is .91e so
> maybe I'll try that.

Ah!, as i said above, now the chances are the tulip driver is causing the
problems, this was a problem discussed in the linux-kernel mailing list, i
would strongly advise upgrading to at least kernel 2.0.36, which should have
no repercussions for anything else on your system.

> >I for one would patch the kernel source to 2.0.37 recompile keeping my old
> >2.0.34 kernel as a backup and see what happens.
>

> I've never patched a kernel, although I've recompiled it several times.  Is
> patching all that is required?  Are there any library upgrades to be done?
> I'm sure there's a how-to, I guess I should just read that.
>

> >Unless you can produce some excerpts from any logfile indicating any
> >reoccuring problem then i'm sorry to say you are on your own, or at least i
> >would not know what more i could say.
> >

> Unfortunately there are no clues in messages or any other log that I can
> see.  Is there any way to increase the logging level of the kernel?
>
> >You said above there was nothing to indicate problems in /var/log/messages.
> >
> >You could try running without X for a day and see what happens.
>

> I'll try that first and see what happens.

Knowing now that you are using that driver i would take a guess and say that
not using X will not help, but still worth a try.

--
Regards Richard.