Since you already have RedHat, I think, try installing the tetex*.rpm
and see if that is what you want.  It does include the tex command, man
pages, faq's...here's the header from the RH 5.0 rpm:

Name        : tetex                       Distribution: Hurricane
Version     : 0.4pl8                            Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 9                             Build Date: Wed Oct 22
15:36:05 1997
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: porky.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/Publishing/TeX   Source RPM:
tetex-0.4pl8-9.src.rpm
Size        : 27550400
Packager    : Red Hat Software <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URL         : http://www.tug.org/teTeX/
Summary     : TeX typesetting system and MetaFont font formatter
Description :
TeX formats a file of interspersed text and commands and outputs a
typesetter independent file (called DVI, which is short for DeVice
Independent).  TeX capabilities and language are described in The
TeXbook, by Knuth.

I don't think Knuth is GPL, though. :-)