On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 13:58:23 -0700 Ray Olszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>One general comment: "Linux" is ambiguous. Technically, it is only a
>kernel and a few related files (modules). Informally, everyone (except
>Richard Stallman, I suppose) uses it to refer to the group of packages
that
>makes up the core of a Linux distribution, such as Slackware, Red Hat,
Debian,
>or any of many others. This second usage is necessarily imprecise, since

>there is no well-defined core set of packages. So often, questions you
pose
>about "Linux" need to be posed in the conetxt of specific distributions.

        I have already basically explained that to him, but when you're a
newbie, it's quite hard to remember especially when migrating from the
Windows world. If it matters much to those who answer this and his other
questions, he has a copy of RedHat 6.0.

Michael Golden
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Normal, no attachments)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Only for messages with attachments.)
RedHat 5.2 (2.0.36) Linux user -- Linux Advocate