It depends on what else is running, of course, but if you're using swap with
96 megs, either you have a **very** active system or something is wrong.

My smaller system has 32 megs, and even running X and GIMP doesn't cause it
to touch swap. My main system is 96 megs, and I've never once run enough
apps to get it to use swap. If I limit myself only to a few smaller apps, I
can even run X in 16 megs without hitting swap. I've seen people report that
they run X in 8 megs, but I believe they do use swap regularly to accomplish
this.

So ... what to do? While you have X running, open up an xterm and run "free"
-- see what's really being used. (And verify that the kernel is really using
all 96 megs, if you haven't done this already.) Then run "top" and see what
apps are gobbling up memory.

If you don't know enough to interpret the output of these apps yourself,
post again, including the output of "free" and the first 10 process lines
listed by "top". Also mention the basics of your system (distribution &
version, kernel version, video card and X server, anything unusual).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

At 12:50 PM 7/4/99 -0500, Mark Pappas wrote:
>How much ram is enough to run X. I have 96meg and X still chews up the
>hard drive accessing the swap area.

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]