At runlevel 5, the inittab from RedHat 5.0 had gettys on tty1-tty6, same
as runlevel 3.  I have never seen X get so hosed up that you can't
switch to a text console with control-alt-f<n>, but I generally don't
use any window manager.  Wine works X pretty hard, though.

If you installed lilo on your hd, you can get its attention by holding a
shift key while it is booting, at at the prompt, tell it:

linux single

(assuming your image is named linux) and that should get you into a
single user mode on a text console.  Then you can change the default
runlevel in inittab back to 3 and go to work trying to debug the GUI
problems.  You can log in as root on a text console and run xdm to make
sure it works right before switching runlevels in inittab.  You could
also have tried runlevel 5 without committing yourself to it by saying
/sbin/telinit 5 without changing inittab.  But that is for next time.
:-)

I can't possibly debug a kernel panic without you tell me what it is
panicked about.  It has good reason, believe me.  Either it has reason
to believe the hardware is broken, or you have asked it to do something
that just can't be done and wouldn't make sense if it could.  It tries
to explain what has it upset, but it's not too awfully articulate.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.