On Sun, 04 Jul 1999, Lawrence Barnes wrote:
> As a Linux rookie, I need a good book or two.  I installed SuSE 6.1

The SuSE manual is excellent. Of course, if you got a 1.99$ copy, then you
don't have it in paper form, but it will still be on your CD.

> the internet.  I have all I need in the SuSE distribution.

That's for sure! I got lost while choosing which packages I wanted. One caveat
though: the Gimp in 6.1 is beta. I had much better luck downgrading to the
version on 6.0.

> possible--I hate despise loathe a GUI.  I realize I have to use X for
> The Gimp, but I want to set things up so I don't boot in X.

Not booting into the GUI should be standard. When SuSE asks you if you want to
boot in such a manner, say no. If you hate GUI's, but like certain GUI programs
(gimp), get a GUI with a very simple layout, like WindowMaker or vanilla E, then
just open up ten xterms.

--
Arandir...