In /etc/inittab, you will find a line that begins with "6:". There is a
problem with the instruction on that line. Something it causing the program
lisetd there to die almost as soon as it starts. init then tries to restart
it (that's what "respawning" is - watching for it to terminate, then
starting it up again), and the same thing happens. Your system gets so busy
starting and stopping this one process that everything ele becomes
excruciatingly slow.

The "disabled" message is a temporary fix. init noticed the problem and
tells you it won't try to restart the process again for 5 minutes. This
gives you a chance to get on the system and fix the problem.

I can't begin to guess what the specific problem is without seeing the
relevant inittab line. Even then it may not be obvious.

At 09:57 AM 7/6/99 -0400, Louis Dupree wrote:
>What is this and how to get it off..
>"INIT: Id "6" respawing too fast: disable for 5 minutes"
>Will appear some times three and four times in a row and can do nothing til
>this clears.

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  • What? Louis Dupree
    • Ray Olszewski