On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, David Rysdam wrote:

> Maurice Hendrix wrote:
> >
> > The documentation on building a kernel is not very clear as to what a "big
> > kernel" is. What are the criteria to opt for either building a 'zImage' or a
> > 'bzImage'?
>
> AFAIK, you can always use bzImage.

You can *almost* always use bzImage.  Some odd hardware (I think it is the
BIOS that causes the problem BICBW) does not work with bzImages though.
zImage will will work on all hardware, may be marginally faster to load on
some, but has a maximum size.
I usually try building a zImage first.  If this fails (with a message like
"kernel too big" then I do a bzImage.

HTH

--
Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas.  If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                -- Howard Aiken