<--snip-->
> To configure X Windows, you'll need to edit the ".xinitrc" file (don't
> forget the period!). To use KDE, just type "usekde" and it will change your
> .xinitrc file for you. To use Gnome, you'll have to edit it manually (am I
> correct?).

According to Gnome docs, place exec gnome-session in the .Xclients file

NB. if an .xinitrc exists the .Xclients will be "ignored". I do not know
if placing it in the .xinitrc will work as I have never tried.

--
"They did not bomb us because we are guilty,
but because we are led by a fool," Nenan Canak