What corresponds to a DOS .bat file in Linux is a shell script. It begins by
calling a specific shell, then provides commands for that shell to execute.
Your rc* files are examples of this.

The genreal foem is:

#!/bin/sh
some shell command
        .
        .
        .
last shell command

# EOF

Linux systems usually symlink sh to bash, so try "man bash" for a (very long
- hard to read on-screen) description of the available shell commands.

To make a script executable after writing it, use this command:

        chmod 700 filename

to make "filename" executable only by its owner, or

        chmod 755 filename

to make "filename" executable by any user. ("man chmod" for more details.)

At 07:49 AM 7/23/99 -0400, Louis Dupree wrote:
>How do I make a "Linux batch" file. I'd like to put some commands in it
>like in dos(autoexec.bat), and how do you make them executable? Thank you-
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]