You shouldn't do it this way. (In fact, I didn't think you *could* patch
across a level-2 revision -- that is, from 2.0.x to 2.1.x to 2.2.x). Get the
complete source for the current kernel from the ftp site of whichever
distribution you are using and compile a kernel from it -- or if you use a
stock kernel, just get it and its modules pre-compiled.

But even that will leave you with problems -- a move from 2.0.x to 2.2.x
requires that you update a LOT of packages along with the kernel. I don't
have a list anywhere handy, but the last one I saw was long.

Really, your best bet for this degree of update is to get a current
distribution, one based on the 2.2.x kernel, and install it, after saving
your system-specific bits somewhere. If the kernel isn't the latest 2.2, you
can patch it up to whatever is current (2.2.10, I think). And you'll have
the right supporting apps for 2.2 installed.

At 11:59 PM 7/23/99 -0400, Brian Willis wrote [in part]:
>All,
>
>  I have kernel 2.0.18 and I'm in the process of adding patches to get
>my kernel current. Well, I've
>downloaded all patches up to 2.2.10 (wow, there were a lot of patches
>for 2.1).
[portion deleted]
>Do I only need to recompile the kernel?  "Running LINUX" from O'Reilly
>says that can create some
>problems.  I don't want to continue adding patches if I need to
>recompile the kernel to fix problems
>that will help me down the road.  I'd appreciate any advice!!

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]