This isn't the problem as such; IRQ 4 will show on this list only if
something actually uses a device on that IRQ. At least there is nothing
(apparently) conflicting on the IRQ, and that's good news.

/dev/ttyS0 (the Linux equivalent of COM1) is normally, in an out-of-the-box
install, set to IRQ 4. If you're concerned about this, you can check it by
running

        setserial /dev/ttyS0

and seeing if it shows the IRQ and IO base you expect. This will also tell
you if Linux has actually detected anything there; if it has, the UART typw
will be listed, and if it hsan't, the UART type will be "unknown" (this
assuming you haven't set the UART type by hand).

Beyond that ... I recall seeing your earlier message but don't recall their
content. Are you unable to use minicom to access the modem? If so, the basic
things to check are:

        1. Does the modem exist? That is, is it a real modem and not an HSP
modem ("Winmodem")? The setserial test above is the best quick check of
that. (Make sure, of course, that you're probing the right /dev entry - I
listed the one that corresponds to COM1.)

        2. Might the modem be PnP? If so, you'll need to make sure it is
being assigned to the IRQ you think it is. If this is your problem, someone
more familiar than I with PnP problems will need to help you.

        3. Is /dev/modem symlinked to /dev/ttyS0? This symlink is what
minicom expects to use.

At 10:14 AM 7/26/99 -0400, Louis Dupree wrote:
>Still can not get my Linux PC to 'see' my modem. Is this the problem? I ran
>the command 'cat /proc/interrupts', and I got this list
>0:     69914 timer
>1:      1005 keyboard
>2:         0 cascade
>8:         1+ rtc
>12:        0  PS/2 mouse
>13:        0  math error
>14:    105146+ide0
>
>No IRQ for my com1(first comport).
>
>I have RH 5.2 version 2.0.36
>How do I assign the IRQ 4 to the com1? Thank you

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]