Hi !

>I used the following command to install KDE on RedHat Linux 6.0.
>
>rpm -ivh kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2.i386.rpm
>
>However, it failed and the error messages were:
>
>error: failed dependencies:
> qt >= 1.42 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> kdesupport is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libjscript.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libkdecore.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libkdeui.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libkfile.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libkfm.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libkhtmlw.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libkimgio.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libmediatool.so.2 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
> libqt.so.1 is needed by kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
>
>What's the problem here?

        This tells you what packages are needed to run / install the KDE base
package. Afaik it requires to have QT (a grafic library i think), i have
KDE 1.1.1 running with QT 1.44, but there is QT 2.0 out now. I don't know
if the version may cause any trouble, but i bet that it would me mentioned
on the KDE homepage at www.kde.org .
        Before you can install the kde-base-package you have to install the
kde-support package, it won't work the other way.
        So i recommend to load QT and install it, then load and install the
support package and then try to install the kde-base-package.

>One more questions, what's the use of the files below?
>
>kdeadmin-1.1.1pre2-1.i386.rpm
>kdegames-1.1.1pre2-2.i386.rpm
>kdegraphics-1.1.1pre2-1.i386.rpm
>kdelibs-1.1.1pre2-2.i386.rpm
>kdemultimedia-1.1.1pre2-1.i386.rpm
>kdenetwork-1.1.1pre2-1.i386.rpm
>kdesupport-1.1.1pre2-1.i386.rpm
>kdeutils-1.1.1pre2-1.i386.rpm

        Those are package that include programs that are designed to run in the
KDE. I recommend to load and install them all, there are many nice programs
in there, but for simply running the desktop they are not needed - without
them it will be a bit boring, hehe. Except the kdesupport package has to be
installed in order to install the kde-base-package (see above).

        Have fun with KDE, i bet you will like it....well, at least i do.

                        Greez

                                Dave