i want to try something a little more advanced for me and
i am hoping you all can share some experience. i want to
get my mail from my isp, pop3, scan it and sort according
to sender, and forward important stuff to my cell phone.
my isp is dial-up, so i want to set up a chron job to dial in,
right? is there a way to know wether the connection is made,
what if the line is busy?? what would be the best way to scan
the mail for sender info? does anyone else do something like
this, and if so what kind of scripts do you use, and could you
send me a sample (minus sensitive data) that i could work from.
i haven't done a ton of shell scripting, but i'm sure i can pick it up.
also, i guess i will use sendmail/fetchmail? i set them up, but still
haven't needed them because netscape makes it so easy. i'm sure
they can get my mail without deleting, because that is what i want
to do, then i can still check my isp pop server from the road. i know
i have to read more, i'm asking for direction on the best way to
do this, and any first hand experience you all have.

i hope i explained this right.

thanx,

ps. welcome back to richard adams.

--