Having a link between /dev/hdb and /dev/cdrom just makes it easier to
remember what device to use when mounting your cdrom.  It won't in and of
itself allow you to mount your cdrom.  What you need to do is use the
mount command to mount the drive to a mount point.  First create a mount
point using mkdir.  Personally, I use /cdrom, so I used the following
commands to create it:

cd /          #This was to get me to the root directory
mkdir /cdrom  #This creates a directory, /cdrom, that I can mount my
cdrom drive to

Once you have the mount point set up, you issue the mount command.  For
example, try either:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

or

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom

To make things easier in the future, you could also add your cdrom to
your /etc/fstab so in the future all you would have to do is type 'mount
/cdrom' and it would mount.

The man pages for mount and for fstab are well worth a read.  Type 'man 8
mount' and read through what shows up.  (It will also help to explain the
'-t iso9660' part of what I suggested above.

Cheers,
Sean

On 8/2/99 01:43, INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED] at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am having a problem mounting my CD.  I installed Slackware on my
>machine using the CD and now when I tried to mount it it doesn't
>appear to work.
>
>I tried creating the symbolic link between
>       /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdb
>then I mounted and it gives me an error.  Is there something obvious
>I haven't done or  I'm doing wrong (being a newbie I probably stuffed
>it up)
>

>Reg Pickett                 Work: +06 7 4939 9414
>Computer Technician      Home: +06 7 4938 3817
>St Brendans College       Mobile: 0414 950 415
>Mary's Mount
>Yeppoon Q 4703

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
How large does the Internet need to get before the
planet becomes self-aware?