You are right except that you can put both kernel and filesystem on the
same floppy.
you put kernel with dd if=kernel of=/dev/fd0
you get the number of next free bloc on disk.
you create a filesystem, you put things on it and YES you compress it
with gzip.
then you put it with dd on the same floppy (dd if=filesystem of=/dev/fd0
skip=XXX)

All is fairly well explained in the rootdisk-HOWTO

pascal