Richard Adams, quoting Jim Thingwold, writes:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a newbie,
>> Minicom seems to lock up I can not get any of the [Ctrl]-keys to
work,
>> nothing seems to work. The only way out of it is to close the
window....
>> BUT Minicom -m  (works) and then I can use the [Alt]-keys. My
question is
>> why does it not work by typing "minicom" ?
>
>The man page says;
>
>       -m   Override  command-key  with the Meta or ALT key. This
>            is the default in 1.80 and it can also be  configured
>            in  one  of minicom's menus, but if you use different
>            terminals all the time, of which some  don't  have  a
>            Meta  or  ALT key, it's handy to set the default com-
>            mand key to Ctrl-A and use this option when you  have
>            a  keyboard  supporting  Meta  or  ALT  keys. Minicom
>            assumes that your Meta key sends the ESC prefix,  not
>            the  other  variant  that sets the highest bit of the
>            character.
>
>Now its been a while since i used minicom, however that sounds like a
>resonable explanation.

What follows is not an answer, but it might provide a pointer for
someone who has more understanding of this area to provide a fuller
explanation.

I was having just such difficulty with minicom - UNTIL I stopped trying
to use it in an X window.  Dropping out of X, logging onto a virtual
console and running minicom from there did the job for me.  Since I was
only trying to set up ppp, once I'd found this out I didn't investigate
further.   I assume that it is something to do with the X server's
keyboard mappings.