right-click on the panel -> add applets -> network
or
click on gnome foot -> panel -> add applet -> network

there are two modem dial applets there (the one I use is "modem lights"
cause it's tiny and does exactly what I want ie. connect, disconnect,
graph connection activity)  If you right click on modem lights applet
then choose properties you can set your connect and disconnect commands
in there eg. mine is "pppd" and "kill `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`", the
default is "ppp-on" and "ppp-off",( I could never get my ppp-on/off
scripts to work.)

later,
Kervin

root wrote:

> I have finally gotten my ppp connection to work and this is the first
> e-mail I am sending using Linux. I need to now find a better way to
> initiate the login process. The only way I know how to login now is to
> open linuxconf in GNOME, select PPP/SLIP/PLIP, then select ppp0 and
> press the connect button. This works, dials up and negotiates with my
> ISP just fine I am able to then run Netscape and get on to the web and
> also use the Netscpe mail function.
> The question is: How do I initiate the ppp dialup w/o doing it from
> inside linuxconf? Can I add an icon to the GNOME desktop or add an
> applet to the panel? If so how do I do it?
> Please point me to a How To, man page, or give me very basic (idiot
> proof) instructions. :-)
> Thanks to all of those who have given me the help I needed to get this
> far.
> George Kenney
> Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Kervin Pierre.