On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Richard Adams wrote:

> When in dos how does one mount an ext2 partition.??

Simple device driver.  They do exist, and they give you access to every
file on the filesystem.

> What is not hypothetical is the fact that network computers normaly speaking
> are behind locks and keys, or they are at least in our network and many
> other networks from my freinds and associates. There is no way anyone else
> other than the network administrator who can access the machines with his
> keys and have root privs. Others who can login to the net machines do not
> have any other privs, more than your normal user, so in my opinion most of
> Marc's thoughts could be considered pipe dreams, unless he is talking about
> his personal computer just sitting on a desk somewhere and he leaves a root
> window open when he goes to drink coffie in the company cantine, that would
> be his fault and his fault alone.

It doesn't matter if a root window is open.  If I have physical access to
a system, I can gain root access, I don't have to have the password.

It's as simple as that.

If the physical computer is locked into a closet, and the key isn't
anywhere but on ONE person, then it's a little secure.  At least people
don't have the privilige of rebooting it now.

But, depending on the installed software, it can still be pretty easy to
get root access.

It sounds like you have a false sense of security becuase of one word:
UNIX.  You need to drop that, and become paranoid, else, you'll never
bother to learn about security, and you'll be much more vulnerable then
you'd ever suspect.

--

Michael B. Trausch - Written using Pine 4.10 under FreeBSD.  Yep.
FreeBSD.  I'm trying something new.  :-)