On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Syed Baqar Tahir Kazmi wrote:

> Questions:
> 1) What is Lynix Client in Red Hat Lynix V.6 Installation CD ?

I'm not sure I understand this question. Linux is not like NT or OS/2. The same
CD (Redhat) can be used to set up a client workstation or a server. The same
kernel, library and basic utilities are the same. There is an installation
option that let's you choose between a workstation or server target, but this
merely installs utilities appropriate to the target.

For example, a workstation installation would not typically need the Samba,
ftp, or http server programs. Likewise, a server installation would not
typically need end-user applications.

> 2) Is it works in the way as NT Workstation (can it work as a Lynix Client)?

Yes, the Redhat CD can be used to installation either workstations, servers or
stand-alone desktops. There is also a "custom" installation option that lets
you choose exactly what packages are installed.

> 3) If it is a Lynix client,same as NT Workstation,then how can we connect to
>    a Lynix Domain or NT Server ?

I am not a networking expert, but you typically connect to a server as anyone
else would. Give the workstation a networking card, setup the networking
addresses, and you're done.

> 4) How can we map a Lynix Drive in NT ?

Again, I am not a networking expert, but the NFS file system used in Linux and
other varieties of Unix should be visible to NT. I do know that with the Samba
server programs, a Linux server can act as a legitimate node in Windows SMB
networks.

> Any Help/Pointers/Comments/Hints will highly be appreciated.

I would read the documentation included with Redhat, and also browse the
documentation about networking and Samba at the Linux Documentation project at
<http://www.metalab.unc.edu/LDP/>.

If this is a commercial endeavor, you might consider locating a Linux
consultant locally to help set you up and get you on your way.

 --
David Johnson