hi,

> 5 minutes or so of no keyboard activity. How can I have a "screen
> saver" run instead of just a blank screen?

Are u looking for X Screensavers? try
http://freshmeat.net/appindex/x11/screensavers.html
I use xscreensaver, it's modular with many,many graphic modules already
done for it http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/ .  xscreensaver does
locking also.

> Also, I find editing fvwm95rc to be a bit tedious as the only way to
> modify my desktop. I have changed the look a bit and added/subtracted
> items from the button bar but it's sort of a pain. Is there an easier to
> use/modify desktop for Slackware Linux and X?

Use KDE or gnome.  For instance gnome comes with a graphical control
panel tool that modifies the settings of xscreensaver (time, graphic
module, locking, etc.) and many other aspects of your desktop, KDE
propably does too.

Kervin Pierre.