"1stFlight !" wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I've been trying to find info on how to restart daemons, can anyone
> help me in this area? Restarting the whole system is starting to get
> old. TIA
>
> Darryl
>
> --
> "Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and
> heaven, that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts
> made weak by time and fate but strong in will to strive, to seek, to
> find and not to yield"
>
> Tennyson's "Ulysses"

Short answer-)

`ps -ef | grep "daemon"`

it will return a number, do a

`kill -HUP "whatever number it returned"`

HUP starts for hangup, it hangs up and restarts,
resynces the process.

Long answer-)

1) find it PID (Process ID) number.

2) it the HUP (Hang UP) signal

3) there is no 3rd step.

To find a processes ID number do a `ps -aux` and look for the
name of the process.  Since there is properly alot of programs
running on the system it would take a while to sort though this
list.  Lets say the daemon is inetd, do a `ps -aux | grep inetd`
and it will run something like this.

304     1  0   Aug 13 ?        1:42 /usr/sbin/inetd -s

To total kill the process it would be `kill 304`, since 304
is the number of the process, this will be differant on every
system.  To hang it up and restart it do a `kill -HUP 304`

BTW, to restart all system daemons you must be loged in as root,
processes that your start as a normal user can be -HUP with your
normal userID.

Jack