Sebastian Helms wrote:

> Using SuSE 6.1, I want to run "expect fetch" every 2 hours by cron. This
> expect script runs wvdial, waits for the connection, runs fetchmail and
> sendmail -q and hangs up.
>
> When starting "expect fetch" manually, it all works fine. But when run by
> cron, I get the following error message:
>
> spawn wvdial
> failed to get controlling terminal using TIOCSCTTYparent sync byte write:
> broken pipe
>
> I have no clue what this means. Any ideas ?

Something is complaining about the fact that it doesn't have a
controlling terminal (when run manually, it will inherit the shell's
controlling terminal, but not when run from cron). Examine your expect
script for possible errors.

> I know some things: wvdial writes to stderr, but calling "wvdial 2>&1"
> doesn't work as wvdial takes 2>&1 as an option.

Not if it's run from a shell, it won't. It's the shell that handles
the '2>&1' bit. You can't just use shell constructs wherever you feel
like it and expect them to work.

--
Glynn Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>