I installed linux this weekend. Lilo woks - will boot either win or linux.
Linux is the default :-)

My cdrom mounts, my windows partition mounts (at /win98) and has long
filenames. It's mostly working fine. I even got X working (kinda. More
below.).

My goals at this point are to get netscape running so that I can browse and
mail from linux. A reasonable first goal. Am having a couple of difficulties
and like any newbie don't know where to start looking.

I finally got X working with my video card (downloaded TNT drivers rom the
nVidia site). However, I have to start it like this:

        startx -- /etc/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

If I don't, it starts in 640x480 16 colour (blecch!). If I comment out the
VGA stuff in XF86Config, it won't start. Gives me a "you must have at least
one of VGA or Mono set up" What changes should I make to XF86Config to start
up this driver? Alternatively, am I supposed to link /etc/X directly to the
driver I want to use?

By the way: KDE seems to run a virtual desktop that is as big as your
highest resolution. Bit of a nuisance if you want to have 1200*1100
_available_ but don't want to scroll around a virtual desktop in the devault
800*600 mode.

I don't have a printer at home but do have one at work. I'd like to print
out some man pages. Is there a place on the net where I can get them? Maybe
someone on the list has a servelet that serves up man pages -
http://someone/man?lookup=rpm which would do a man rpm, convert the result
to html and dump it. Just a thought. I could then use my work printer.

I have a couple more difficulties (soundcard and PPP), but I just printed
off the HOWTOs and will look through those first.