Hi!

Had a similar problem a while ago... I solved it by loggin in (still no panel),
start a xterm and simply type:

panel &

This would give you your panel back, and if it does, log off and make sure you
check the option 'save current setup'... If it is not set to do that
automagically... Login again and know you should have your panel back...

// Uffe