Hi, Paul,
 You can do that in several ways:
1. Try Shift-PgUp. This is helpful and fast, but it's 'capacity' is
limited.
2. Pipe. Since you've already mentioned it, I'll leave it alone this time.
3. You can set the screen to have more than just 25 lines. It has
something to do with /etc/lilo.conf: you have to replace vga = normal with
vga = ask , for example, run /sbin/lilo, and reboot. When booting, lilo
will ask you about what screen resolution to use.

Have fun,
bogdan