On Mon, 06 Sep 1999, Rik Osborne wrote:
> During my last reboot, I spotted the following line:
>
> /dev/hda5 has reached maximal mount count, check forced
>
> The system then proceeded to check the drive. After that the system finished
> booting properly, and there don't seem to be any problems.
>
> I've seen the message "[blah blah blah], check forced" before, usually after
> an improper shutdown, so I know what's going on when I see it. I'm just
> curious about the "maximal mount count" part. My guess is that after a drive
> has been mounted a certain number of times, fsck will do a routine integrity
> check. Am I correct? Or should I be looking closer at something?

You are correct, after a standard amount of boots fsck will check the
drive automaticly, i think its 10 or 20 reboots.
Read man tune2fs you can change it there, but NOT on a mounted
filesystem.

The file /etc/fstab tells fsck to check the mount count, man fstab
will explain about the 5th and 6th fields, which do the job.

--
Regards Richard