On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, Maurice Hendrix wrote:

I cant speek for SuSe but i can for Slackware and Redhat.

Doing what you describe will _not_ work in Redhat, but it will with
Slackware
An other idea is to hide a copy of /etc/passwd somewhere, when a
problem arises like this situation then just copy the file from its
secret location to /etc/passwd.

--
Regards Richard