The 1024 cylinder limit may not apply to your system.
LILO has this limit (if there is one) because it uses the BIOS.

At 09:37 PM 9/25/99 +0100, hansen wrote:
>how do i get lilo boot up and runing when my harddrive is 10gb and i
>have got 2100mb of disk space on drive C (Windoze) 1024 cylinder limit
>help man

You can put the /root partition (and WINxx) within the first
 1024 cylinders to avoid the possible problem.
Non-bootable partitions are not affected. If you can partition
 and format them, you can use them.

Another way to get around the (possible) problem is to use other ways
 of starting up, involving a diskette (Linload or bootdisk).

Drive translation:
You are not saying how many cylinders your drive has. A big harddisk not
 necessarily has over 1024 cylinders. My 8GB harddisk has 1027 cylinders.
 (Actual cylinders 16383, translated cylinders 1027).
Download the drive specification (or maybe just read the notes printed on
 the drive housing). Most big drives can translate the actual cylinders
 to a much lower number. Because the 1024 limit is also a WINxx/MSDOS
 problem manufacturers pay a lot of attention to the 1024-cyl limit.

Be aware that WINxx can affect Linux in the standard Fdisk-dos setup:
 Main partition + Extended partition + Logical drives within the
 Extended partition.
 Where Linux necessarily resides on logical drives.
 In a single drive system it is drive D: that is affected. And the
 partition-table which is located just ahead of it.
Prevention: Put the partition with WINDOWS directory on it on a
 separate drive.
Possible alternative 1 : Use Fdisk-dos to make all the partitions.
Possible alternative 2: Make more than 1 Primary Partition. (My fdisk-dos
 will not do it. I would have to use fdisk-linux or another partitioner.)

---Herman Aa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>From a mountaintop on Cebu island, Philippines.
List: Direct copies (extra copy) welcome.