From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 3:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mail problem

Paul,

Now I have looked round a bit, and found that mailx is Mail, as is
mail, yes.

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Paul Charsley wrote:

> I am trying to set up local mail only on my Caldera Linux 1.3. I am
trying
> to use the mailx program but when I try to send mail to myself or
anyone
> else I get the messages:
>
> username........user unknown

mailx needs the userid of the recipient as its argument.  Maybe the
attached script will show you.

> no/such/directory/dead.letter...... cannot open: No such file or
directory

Look in /etc/passwd at the line for the user who is sending mail, and
you will probably see that his home directory (6th field, fields are
separated by colon:) is no/such/directory, so mailx has nowhere to put
the dead.letter.  Fix /etc/passwd so he has a valid home directory.
Usually, it is /home/<userid>; if it doesn't exist, you can make one
with mkdir.

> Can anyone help?
>
> Paul

Script started on Sun Sep 26 23:23:29 1999
witsend:~$ mailx -s oops foo
oops
.
EOT
witsend:~$ foo... User unknown
/home/whit/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/whit/dead.letter
mailx -s Hi whit
High their!
.
EOT
witsend:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Sun Sep 26 23:25:14 1999

Lawson

          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.