Hi Everyone!

I'm taking the leap into the world of Linux and need some good advice.  I'm
not shy about RTFM'ing, so if there are good help files geared to people
*new* to Linux, please point them out.  I just ordered Redhat Linux 6
Unleashed and that should be here in a few days.

I'll try to give everyone as much information as possible so that perhaps
there is something in there that might help people know how to help me.

I installed my Redhat Linux 6 on the following system:

        Pentium 233 MMX with 256 Megs Ram
        Maxtor 10 gig hard drive
        Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee
        40X CD Rom
        Microsoft Natural Keyboard
        Logitech Mouseman 3 button mouse
        Linksys 10/100 Etherfast network card

Currently (before the Linux installation) I have 4 computers hooked up using
the Linksys network cards, connected to a Linksys 8
port autosensing hub.  There is also a three port printserver connected to
the hub which has my 2 printers connected to it.

The computer that Linux is on was 10.0.1.4, with the other computers being
10.0.1.2, 10.0.1.3, and 10.0.1.5. The printserver is 10.0.1.1. Subnet mask
is 255.0.0.0.  These numbers were set up when I set up the network with
Linksys to get all the windows machines connected.

I installed Linux 6.0 using the custom installation, creating 8 partitions,
those being a 1000 mb Windows Partition to keep windows 98 on it (gotta be
able to use the computer for those multiplayer Mechwarrior games! :), and
then the following:

        a /boot partition of 16 megs
        a / partition of 2000 megs
        a /usr partition of 2500 megs told to grow to fill hard drive
        a /home partition of 2500 megs told to grow to fill hard drive
        a /var partition of 1500 megs
        and 2 swap partitions of 128 megs each

The installation went fine. However, booting the system can take a good
15-20 minutes. It seems to hang up for quite a while on the following steps
of the boot process: "Starting system logger:" then a *much* longer hang up
for "Starting sendmail:" and then another long hangup for "Starting httpd:".
Then it takes a while for "Starting INND system:"

What I would like to do, and need some specific help, pointers to good
information, and maybe a plan of attack with the best order of doing things
is the following which would make my wife happy since we could eliminate the
cost of modems and phone lines for all of the computers! :)

        1. Getting Linux up and running.
        2. Getting the Linux box to be recognized on the existing network.
        3. Put my modems in the Linux box so that my other computers can share the
internet connection, and still be able to use HTTP, FTP, ICQ, AOL, AOL IM,
etc.
        4. Set up the Linux box so that when one of the other computers tries to
access the internet that it will automatically cause the Linux box to dial
the internet to complete the connection.

Those are the immediate goals to get that up and running.

I can see that I will definately enjoy Linux, but it is definately a jump
from the Windows world.

Any help that anyone can give would be most certainly appreciated!

Jo Poplawski