> Greetings,
>
>  While getting a feel for my Redhat 5.1 system, and
> trying to upgrade I
> have been using su a lot while logged in as a regular user. However I
> have noticed some interesting limitations.
>  it seems while su'd as root, I cannot initialize an ftp session,
> adduser, mkdir, cp or rm anything. Each time I try, I get a
> command not
> found message on the console. For ftp I get no route to host.
> Howver if
> I log in directly as root, I can do all of these, wihtout a hitch.
>  Is there a particular reason why? It seems that these
> limitations make
> su kind of pointless, and eliminates it's security benefits.
"su" used without arguments does not initialize the environnement with
root usual environment settings. I guess this is why you get command not
found.
I would say always use su like this:
"/bin/su -"
note the "-" as first argument telling it to initialize the environment
by
reading root .profile and other normal log in setup. note also the use of
the complete
path to /bin/su to prevent trojan horses or hashed commands to be
launched instead
of the /bin/su you wanted to use.

>  I have an external Ditto backup by Iomega, that attaches to the
> parallel port. However it has a pass through for a printer to be
> attached as well. has anyone had expeirience with the resource sharing
> protocol metioned in the ZIP drive mini-how-to ? if so, how
> did it work,
> and did/would/could you ever try to run a terminal through it ?
no idea about that

> thanks again!
>
> Peter

pascal