David Hajoglou wrote:

> We have a newtork using reserved ips (192.168.) behind a linux
> gateway/firewall.  We would like to be able to connect a win98 maching,
> via the internet, to the network through the linux firewall (rh6.0) using
> some sort of vpn/pptp connection.  Does anybody know of any sort of
> software suites/setups that I could use to achieve this?
>
> Thank You
> David

CIPE (only linux-to-linux), SKIP (most-unices-to-most-unices), PPTP
(win/linux-to-linux/win), IPSEC (the upcoming standard for VPN's).

CIPE and SKIP are included in the internation kernel at ftp.kerneli.org,
IPSEC for Linux is called freeS/WAN and it's homepage is at
www.xs4all.nl and about PPTP, I don't know much. Of those, CIPE and SKIP
are the most reliable, and freeswan is the one that interoperates best
with heterogenous environments, while PPTP is probably what you will end
up with, esp. if your connection is over PPP.

If you make freeswan (v1.1 is due to be released RSN and should fix most
problems) run on your linux box, you can connect it to PGPnet on the win
side, which is IMO the best setup.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)